History of East Carroll Parish Hospital
East Carroll Parish Hospital has been in operation for over 60 years. On January 10, 1951, the East Carroll Parish Police Jury created a Hospital Service District and appointed a Board of Commissioners. The hospital opened and the first patient was admitted on January 4,1955. The operation of this 40-bed hospital was entrusted to the Order of the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. The Sisters of St. Francis managed the hospital for almost 13 years.
On December 31, 1967, the Sisters of St. Francis terminated their lease and future plans to operate East Carroll Parish Hospital due to the shortage of sisters.
Since that time, the hospital has remained under parish management, as a 23-bed Hospital Service District. East Carroll Parish Hospital continues to serve East Carroll Parish and the surrounding communities, including a 24-hour Emergency Room, an ambulance service, and two Rural Health Clinics.
East Carroll Parish Hospital is grateful for the past, encouraged by the present and eagerly anticipating the future.